The inaugral Great Western Randonnées’ AAA 400. All aboard to Bishop’s Lydeard Station before traversing the northern coastline of Exmoor. Use the old Barnstaple branch-line and head home via The Blackdown Hills.
WHEN: +iCal09/04/2022 - 10/04/2022 04:00 - 08:25
WHERE:Benjamin Perry Scout Hut
Pheonix Wharf Redcliffe, BS1 6SR
EVENT REVIEW SUMMARY:
Extensive route notes and a variety of files will be distributed to entrants via email a week or two before the event. In the mean time use the interactive map for an overview of what lies ahead (subject to change); toggle the elevation & grade on/off by clicking the key. *Please note plugin's 'grade' is experimental so take it with a pinch of salt, especially where rocky outcrops may be present.
A quick exit south from central Bristol over the looming Dundry Hill into the Chew Valley. Hop over The Mendips and descend the glorious Cheddar Gorge to the flats of the Somerset Levels. Pass through Bridgwater and begin the gradual ascent of The Quantocks; before plunging down the other side to Bishop’s Lydeard Station on the West Somerset Railway. Heading into Exmoor and rack up a considerable amount of climbing in a short space along the amazing North Devon coast including: Dunkery Beacon; Porlock Toll Road; Valley of the Rocks. Exiting Ilfracombe use the old Barnstaple branch-line path to once again touch the coast at Croyde before picking up the old railway along the Taw Estuary. From Barnstaple begin the long climb to the top of Exmoor once more then enjoy a respite along the fantastic southern ridge with views across Devon to Dartmoor Drop into the Barle Valley shortly joining the Exe. A smattering of bumps enatils as you make your way across to and then over the Blackdown Hills to Winsham Jubilee Hall where dinner is provided late into the night; will you take a quick nap? The final leg north is easier going to begin as again you edge The Levels passing Glastonbury. Then once more over The Mendips and Dundry to see Bristol as it is probably awakening to the Arrivee!
Parking available in Bristol, charges may apply.
What others think.
Where does he find these #wills_hills? Not one for the faint hearted! Em and I rode it on our own. We had lots of darkeness due to our start time, but what we did see until the turnaround point was breathtaking. So many incredible places I hadn’t been before. One of my highlights has to be the toll road. Such a great challenge – this route won’t fail to deliver.
Like or loath it? Let others know.
- Temporary Membership @ £3.00 is required if you are not an Audax UK or affiliated CTC/CUK member and will automatically be added to the final cost on pressing enter.
- This event is run in accordance with Audax UK's Regulations and is covered by their insurance.
- At this time COVID-19 restrictions may apply; please see Audax UK news for current situation.
- Whilst COVID-19 restrictions have eased additional measures may still be undertaken for a successful event. Please check the Event Info Details above.
- Once payment is completed you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and will be redirected back to a page saying what happens next. Please take the time to read so you don't worry about receiving the final route details. I'm working on making the information available here.
- If you don't have an account one will be created upon entry to store all your information specific to this event and generic for the future. You will receive an email with a password. You may delete your account but if you do so before the event you remove yourself from the entry list.
- A unique email is required per booking person until I have time to figure how to enable multiple bookings in an efficient manner.
- If you start without an account and press 'Enter' then don't complete the payment or go back you may encounter an error saying 'account already exists' or similar. Look for the password email to log in.
- If you are a returning rider and you haven't used the password email from previous you may need to use the 'forgotten password' function.
- Account login etc on desktop is on the right or in the footer. On mobile/tablet it is adaptive depending on screen size and may be found in the hamburger menu or footer.