Moonrakers become Sunseekers! Ride through the night under a full moon to the coast. Return via a few Dorset hills passing Glastonbury Tor, use the Strawberry Line to Bristol.
WHEN: +iCal19/11/2021 - 20/11/2021 22:00 - 18:32
WHERE:Felix Road Adventure Playground
Felix Road Easton, BS5 0JW
EVENT REVIEW SUMMARY:
Extensive route notes and a variety of files will be distributed to entrants via email a week or two before the event. In the mean time use the interactive map for an overview of what lies ahead (subject to change); toggle the elevation & grade on/off by clicking the key. *Please note plugin's 'grade' is experimental so take it with a pinch of salt, especially where rocky outcrops may be present.
Moonrakers & Sunseekers has become a popular winter 300.
Head straight out of Bristol through Bath and watch the trail of lights climb the Cat 4 climb of Bathwick Hill; the biggest of the ride. Continue on easily navigated roads to Devizes, passing The Crammer where legend has it Wiltshire folk were caught by the Excisemen raking for ‘the moon’. Continue down the Avon Valley through Salisbury and edging The New Forest, along the coast to Poole Harbour. Moonrakers wane as Sunseekers come into view; those luxury yachts at Poole Quay! Heading home pass through the chocolate box village of Milton Abbas and past the Abbey in the Dorset Hills and on. Into Somerset passing Glastonbury Tor and across The Levels to Axbridge. Then use The Strawberry Line railway path through the end of The Mendips and pass orchards to stop at The Strawberry Line Cafe before returning to Bristol.
Route: It is an advisory route, you may take a different one to that supplied as long as you visit all the controls within time and answer the info questions; no allowance will be made for any extra distance this may occur.
Covid-19: Whilst restrictions have eased I may still use groups and a staggered start time to ease the pressure on controls of every one arriving simultaneously. I still highly recommend the use of a mask/buff whilst in close proximity to others whilst undertaking the event, what ever your views are; it is a small measure that can reduce the chance of you spreading it if you are a carrier.
Provided: Tea and coffee at the start. Breakfast jackets, hot drinks & bananas at Lilliput Sea Scout Hut about half way. Probably tarka dal at the finish and hot drinks. Cake!
Parking: On street local parking. I’d suggest trying the roads around Bannerman Road Community Academy; All Hallows, Graham & Normanby. Please be considerate of residents and keep the noise down.
There will likely be sand on the promenade and mud on the Strawberry Line. Nothing many others haven’t managed in the past.
Should capacity be reached a waiting list will be used. To ensure efficient management it will be a paid entry through the booking system below. Should a place become available you will be notified in order that you have a space and considered entered as if you entered normally. From the Wednesday before the event if a space then becomes available you can decline this space; a full refund will then be given as it will to all those who don’t gain a space.
What others think.
Excellent early season 400
Yes, 400 – with the late start this is an excellent ECE opportunity. Ridden twice, thoroughly enjoyed the route, controls and riding companions. Caffeine tablets recommended! Looking forward to next time…
Dark, wet and cold
Well organized with good middle stop for food and exelent service! A bit nippy leaving Poole.
I wish the weather was nicer! 🙂
Like or loath it? Let others know.
- If you are not an Audax UK or affiliated CTC/CUK member Temporary Membership is required for the event; please select below.
- This event is run in accordance with Audax UK's Regulations and is covered by their insurance.
- At this time COVID-19 restrictions may apply; please see Audax UK news for current situation.
- Whilst COVID-19 restrictions have eased additional measures may still be undertaken for a successful event. Please check the Event Info Details above.
- Once payment is completed you will receive an email from email@example.com and will be redirected back to a page saying what happens next. Please take the time to read so you don't worry about receiving the final route details. I'm working on making the information available here.
- If you don't have an account one will be created upon entry to store all your information specific to this event and generic for the future. You will receive an email with a password. You may delete your account but if you do so before the event you remove yourself from the entry list.
- A unique email is required per booking person until I have time to figure how to enable multiple bookings in an efficient manner.
- If you start without an account and press 'Enter' then don't complete the payment or go back you may encounter an error saying 'account already exists' or similar. Look for the password email to log in.
- If you are a returning rider and you haven't used the password email from previous you may need to use the 'forgotten password' function.
- Account login etc on desktop is on the right or in the footer. On mobile/tablet it is adaptive depending on screen size and may be found in the hamburger menu or footer.