Salisbury Plain, steam trains, & neolithic Avebury, Woodhenge & Stonehenge. A few #wills_hills at the end for good measure!
EVENT REVIEW SUMMARY:
Extensive route notes and a variety of files will be distributed to entrants via email a week or two before the event. In the mean time use the interactive map for an overview of what lies ahead (subject to change); toggle the elevation & grade on/off by clicking the key. *Please note plugin's 'grade' is experimental so take it with a pinch of salt, especially where rocky outcrops may be present.
Departing from Warmley you’ll head east scaling the Cotswold escarpment for a gentle cruise through Malmesbury to Purton. Then south through Avebury’s earthern works and stone circle, over the Pewsey Downs for stunning views across the Vale and down Wiltshire’s Avon valley. Turning west onto Salisbury Plain you’ll visit the lesser known neolithic site of Woodhenge first before using a 1km section of byway to approach Stonehenge giving you amazing views; you can get quite close to the stones here without paying to take in their time defying presence. Having made your way between tumulii using the closed main road you then continue across the Plain; time to form some trains if there is a headwind! Into the wonderful Wylye Valley with the optional Ginny’s Cafe at The Ginger Piggery. On to Somerset and Cranmore, will you stop at the station or the pub? Save a bit for the final section heading north as you’ll have a few #wills_hills in succession.
Caution: The 1km byway approaching Stonehenge is a firm surface, it has some large embedded flints to begin and potholes to end but just go slow and enjoy the scenery. It was easily navigated in March on 25mm tyres.
You may start any where on the route but you must get proof of passage when you start and finish.
Entry includes postage of brevet card one way. Select whether you want to receive your card before or after the event in the entry process. If you select before allow 5 working days to receive, you must then return your card post event with your proof of passage and a self addressed envelope for me to return back to you. If you select after send me the proof of passage electronically; photos (of receipts) or GPX and I’ll fill out your brevet card and return.
You will receive all the details of controls, times etc via a ‘do not reply to’ email upon entering; there will be a link within so you can notify me by email up to a second before you depart.
I’m sorry but I will no longer accept postal as I rarely am able to get to the bank. The payment process isn’t Paypal and will accept credit or debit cards.
What others think.
Scenic Route with some Will's Hills to Finish
Lovely weather and lovely people made this an excellent if not hot ride.
The views of Stone Henge are lovely as you bypass the tourists.
A few cheeky Will’s Hill’s on the return make sure that the cold drinks at the finish pub garden tasted sweeter.
Well Educated! 🙄
Great route with varied scenery and distant views.
I’d not heard of Wood Henge.
Bristol Cycle Route a lovely way to finish.
Like or loath it? Let others know.
- Temporary Membership @ £3.00 is required if you are not an Audax UK or affiliated CTC/CUK member and will automatically be added to the final cost on pressing enter.
- This event is run in accordance with Audax UK's Regulations and is covered by their insurance.
- At this time COVID-19 restrictions may apply; please see Audax UK news for current situation.
- Whilst COVID-19 restrictions have eased additional measures may still be undertaken for a successful event. Please check the Event Info Details above.
- Once payment is completed you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and will be redirected back to a page saying what happens next. Please take the time to read so you don't worry about receiving the final route details. I'm working on making the information available here.
- If you don't have an account one will be created upon entry to store all your information specific to this event and generic for the future. You will receive an email with a password. You may delete your account but if you do so before the event you remove yourself from the entry list.
- A unique email is required per booking person until I have time to figure how to enable multiple bookings in an efficient manner.
- If you start without an account and press 'Enter' then don't complete the payment or go back you may encounter an error saying 'account already exists' or similar. Look for the password email to log in.
- If you are a returning rider and you haven't used the password email from previous you may need to use the 'forgotten password' function.
- Account login etc on desktop is on the right or in the footer. On mobile/tablet it is adaptive depending on screen size and may be found in the hamburger menu or footer.