Salisbury Plain, steam trains, & neolithic Avebury, Woodhenge & Stonehenge. A few #wills_hills at the end for good measure!
Extensive route notes and a variety of nav files will be sent via email a week before the event. Use the interactive map for an overview of what lies ahead (subject to change); toggle the elevation & grade on/off by clicking the key. *Please note plugin's 'grade' is experimental so take it with a pinch of salt.Share this event:
Departing from Warmley you’ll head east scaling the Cotswold escarpment for a gentle cruise through Malmesbury to Purton. Then south through Avebury’s earthern works and stone circle, over the Pewsey Downs for stunning views across the Vale and down Wiltshire’s Avon valley. Turning west onto Salisbury Plain you’ll visit the lesser known neolithic site of Woodhenge first before using a 1km section of byway to approach Stonehenge giving you amazing views; you can get quite close to the stones here without paying to take in their time defying presence. Having made your way between tumulii using the closed main road you then continue across the Plain; time to form some trains if there is a headwind! Into the wonderful Wylye Valley with the optional Ginny’s Cafe at The Ginger Piggery. On to Somerset and Cranmore, will you stop at the station or the pub? Save a bit for the final section heading north as you’ll have a few #wills_hills in succession.
Caution: The 1km byway approaching Stonehenge is a firm surface, it has some large embedded flints to begin and potholes to end but just go slow and enjoy the scenery. It was easily navigated in March on 25mm tyres.
You may start any where on the route but you must get proof of passage when you start and finish.
Entry includes postage of brevet card one way. Select whether you want to receive your card before or after the event in the entry process. If you select before allow 5 working days to receive, you must then return your card post event with your proof of passage and a self addressed envelope for me to return back to you. If you select after send me the proof of passage electronically; photos (of receipts) or GPX and I’ll fill out your brevet card and return.
You will receive all the details of controls, times etc via a ‘do not reply to’ email upon entering; there will be a link within so you can notify me by email up to a second before you depart.
I’m sorry but I will no longer accept postal as I rarely am able to get to the bank. The payment process isn’t Paypal and will accept credit or debit cards.
What others think.
Scenic Route with some Will's Hills to Finish
Lovely weather and lovely people made this an excellent if not hot ride.
The views of Stone Henge are lovely as you bypass the tourists.
A few cheeky Will’s Hill’s on the return make sure that the cold drinks at the finish pub garden tasted sweeter.
Well Educated! 🙄
Great route with varied scenery and distant views.
I’d not heard of Wood Henge.
Bristol Cycle Route a lovely way to finish.
Like or loath it? Let others know.
- This event is run in accordance with Audax UK's Regulations and is covered by their insurance.
- Currently only available to Audax UK or CTC/CUK members.
- Current COVID-19 restrictions if applicable, please see Audax UK news.
- Whilst COVID-19 restrictions have eased additional measures may still be undertaken for a successful event. Please check the Event Info Details above.
- Once payment is completed you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and will be redirected back to a page saying what happens next.
- If you haven't already entered an event on this site then an account will automatically be created when you ENTER.
- You will receive a registration email that will need to be used to validate your address and create a password.
- If you ENTER then don't complete the payment, or go back, you may encounter an error saying 'account already exists' or similar. Look for the password email to validate or use lost password.
- Information specific to this event and generic for the future will be stored in your account.
- You may delete your account at any time but if you do so before the event you remove yourself from the entry list.