Time to get ‘slaughtered’ in The Cotswolds! Big hills, little hills and more #wills_hills with chocolate box villages interspersed leading you to The Slaughters. You may use my name in vain.
WHEN: +iCalSat 10th September 2022 07:00 - 20:24
WHERE:Gary Harris Cycles Common Mead Ln Hambrook [nr Frenchay], BS16 1QQ
Route notes and a variety of navigation files will be available usually the Monday before the event. Use the interactive map for an overview of what lies ahead (subject to change); toggle the elevation & grade on/off by clicking the key. *Please note plugin's 'grade' is experimental so take it with a pinch of salt.
A grimpeur audax showcasing The Cotswolds edge; will your legs be slaughtered? Make a beeline to Wootton-under-Edge where the fun begins! Dropping down into old mill towns and climbing back out again you make your way north to Cheltenham and beyond stopping at The Flag and Whistle on the Gloucestershire and Worcestershire Steam Railway. Keep going to the quintessential Broadway and climb up again into the Cotswolds turning at Chipping Campden to cruise (well almost) through picturesque countryside and villages including the chocolate box Lower Slaughter and on to Northleach. A ‘relaxing’ stretch follows before entering the valleys and mill towns again for a visit to Dursley Heritage Centre. Hold onto your hats and engage low gear for the final steep one before a quick return.
Type & Validation
- The route is advisory - you just have to visit the controls and gain proof of passage within time limits where specified; there may be parts that you'd like to take a different route and that is entirely up to you; the time limits for the controls don't change!
- Validation: Instant - you get to take your validated brevet card home straight away at the end of the event.
What others think.
Slaughtered in the Cotswolds. (2017)
The name gives a good indication of the intent, as does the inclusion of a 20% climb around the 175 km mark (Simon Warren: 6/10, ‘this vicious little road’) — but that’s not the whole story. The name also refers to Upper and Lower Slaugther, two small villages in the Cotswolds, and this is a route of many chocolate-box villages and towns. In fact, on a sunny day, this would probably be one of the prettiest routes I have ridden. The climbs have views, looking out over counties. The descents have their villages, with their anchoring churches. The roads are generally decently surfaced, though there are some small, muddy and leafy lanes, with cambers and corners. The cafe at the steam railway station in Toddington was, on a Saturday, full to bursting with cyclists. Very well organized.
Like or loath it? Let others know.
- This event is run in accordance with Audax UK's Regulations and is covered by their insurance.
- Audax UK Temporary Membership @ £3.00 is required to participate if you aren't an Audax UK or CTC/CUK member; it will be added automatically.
- Current COVID-19 restrictions if applicable, please see Audax UK news.
- Whilst COVID-19 restrictions have eased additional measures may still be undertaken for a successful event. Please check the Event Info Details above.
- Once payment is completed you will receive an email from email@example.com and will be redirected back to a page saying what happens next.
- On the following Stripe payment page use the back arrow by GWR logo to cancel or amend your booking. This will ensure an 'awaiting payment' instance isn't created blocking you from entering at a later time should you desire.
- If you haven't already entered an event on this site then an account will automatically be created when you ENTER.
- You will receive a registration email that will need to be used to validate your address and create a password; this will be required to access further event information found on this page.
- If you ENTER then don't complete the payment, or go back, you may encounter an error saying 'account already exists' or similar. Look for the password email to validate or use lost password.
- Information specific to this event and generic for the future will be stored in your account.
- You may delete your account at any time but if you do so before the event you remove yourself from the entry list.